Campus Security and Safety
- Safety escorts are available 24 hours a day, including holidays and weekends.
- Provides a walking escort to campus community members to all locations within Western's campus.
- Report safety hazards, unsafe lighting, and defective equipment to Public Safety.
- Park in an area that will be well-lit after dark. Call 360-650-3555 for a safety escort to walk you to your car, residence hall or campus building at night.
- Leave nothing visible in your car, even if it is of no value.
- Do not leave wallets, purses, backpacks and other valuables unattended on campus, even inside your office.
- Keep your doors locked at home, in the residence hall and in your car.
- At home, develop a relationship with neighbors that will encourage regularly checking on one another.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Know where you are. Know where you are going and what to expect.
- Trust your instinct - if you feel uncomfortable in a situation or place, LEAVE!
- Avoid walking alone and let people know where you are going.
- Plan your walking trips in advance and choose a safe, well-lit, and populated route.
- Remember that most crimes occur in response to opportunities.
Late Night Student Shuttle
The Late Night Shuttle is a service for Western students, paid for by the Alternative Transportation Fee.
A valid Western ID card is required to board.
This service is not affiliated with WTA.
Hours of Operation:
- Monday - Saturday, 11pm - 3am
- Sunday, 9pm - 2am
Service begins in September, on the Sunday before classes begin, and ends in June on the Saturday of Commencement.
The Shuttle does not operate during Summer Quarter, Thanksgiving vacation or Intersession Breaks.
Emergency Phones and Call Boxes
In an emergency, you need immediate help—look for a blue light. The blue light identifies the location of an emergency telephone. Simply press the emergency phone button (no dialing is necessary) to be connected to the Western's Public Safety Dispatch office. Describe your emergency to the operator. Every call placed from a blue light phone is responded to by a police officer.
Learn the location of the campus Emergency Phones and Call Boxes along your route.
Emergency phones are also located at the main entrance to each Residence Hall.